caret icon Back to all discussions

Caregiving 101: Respite, and Support

Have you ever found yourself slowly realizing that you are slowly doing more and more? It's a fact that life as a caregiver does not always happen quickly, and often, the responsibilities creep up on you.

A caregiver can be just about anyone! You can be a partner, adult child, parent, spouse, sibling, aunt, uncle, niece/nephew, in-law, neighbor, friend, and sometimes a grandchild! Regardless of your relationship, it is fair to say that the title of 'caregiver' is here to stay.

Share your common caregiving task with others within the community!

1. You are absolutely right! The title 'caregiver' is not going anywhere. My mom has lupus...so the role I have played in her life has changed over the years. More recently, I have found that many of our conversations involve the underlying science behind different medications. It has been helpful for both of us.

1. Hi Eric! Welcome to the forum. Having this perspective is very important and super helpful to the community! When you mention the "science behind different medications", could you help us better understand how you and your mom view this? Is it that you often consider the physical and psychological impacts of trying new treatments? Or the overall fatigue, and side-effects? I know that others within the community would love to learn more from your lens! Looking forward to hearing back from you soon. -Lawrence (Lupus.net Team)

2. I found at one time responsible for my mother in law, husband and son and the entire household all aspects and ignoring myself for several years then Feb 2022 roles should have flipped they did not. It hurts.

1. I'm sorry to hear this. It's so disheartening to not have the support that you gave to others. Sending you gentle hugs and I am holding space for you to find the support you need to live well beyond it all. We are here to support you. ~Racquel~ lupus.net team member

2. I’m so sorry that you had to deal with all that. You should never have been expected to carry all that on your shoulders. If you don’t mind me asking, how are things going for you now?!? Sending Big hugs! Amber (lupus.net team moderator)

Please read our rules before posting.