A woman sleeps in her bed as her phone rings on the table and a bubble appears out of it showing a kidney.

I Almost Missed My Second Chance at Life

For 4 years, 8 months, and 11 days, I anticipated receiving "the call." The call is what just about every dialysis patient prays for and dreams of – a chance to receive a kidney transplant and experience another chance at life. Of the 100,000 patients in need of an organ transplant, 85 percent of those are in need of a kidney, according to DonateLife.net. Living donors that donate their kidney to a dialysis patient are a blessing, but more often than not dialysis patients' only shot is a deceased donor donation.

Waiting for a kidney transplant

Nearly 5 long years in wait and my shot came at 2:55 am on Sunday, July 18, 2021, in the year of our Lord. And I missed it. Yes… in fact, I missed two calls. I woke up casually at 8 am as I naturally do on the weekends and I checked my phone. Panic set in when I realized this mysterious caller left a voicemail:

"Hi, this message is for Gabrielle Davis. I’m calling from the Transplant Institute with a potential kidney donor. I’m going to give your husband a call and hopefully, he can help me locate you..."

I never leave my phone on silent, but that night I did and so did my husband.

I can’t put into words how utterly mortified and embarrassed I was, but I still had hope. I immediately dialed the transplant institute to hunt down the transplant coordinator that called. While I waited for a return call a stream of emotions came over me. I vented to a friend on Marco Polo because I was going stir crazy waiting for this coordinator to call me back. I wasn’t on the video for more than 5 minutes when I got a callback.

Emotions surrounding the transplant

With bated breath, my grief turned to undeniable joy as I cried when I heard that I was right on the cusp of losing that kidney, BUT they were still doing testing and it was still available! So thankful for the "but," whew.

Every emotion that I had pent up in my body of waiting on this transplant thinking about what those years looked like came out in the form of tears and relief – doing 11 hours total of dialysis every night, the trips that I had to put off, hellish reproductive issues, our journey of denied pregnancy, then the joy of surrogacy, the invasive shots, and procedures, the medication, the disappointment. That day I experienced such a deep loss only to be revived with unexplainable joy again.

My second chance at life

I knew in my gut that there were other powers at work, that this transplant was meant for me and only me. Some call it serendipity, I call it divine.

How can you explain:

  • Nearly 5 hours go by and this kidney is still available?
  • At the time of the call, my husband and son were visiting my mother-in-law just an hour and a half away. A good mom friend happened to answer my early morning call, came through, and got me to the hospital in record time.
  • Meanwhile, my husband was able to meet us at the hospital just before I went into surgery.
  • My son was already settled with my mother-in-law and stayed under her care while I recovered for a week.

Just before noon on July 18, after my husband prayed over me, I made the obligatory social media post, I was sedated and rolled back for my transplant that gave me another shot at a life that I had almost forgotten was possible. Nearly 2 months after my transplant, I can say recovery has its challenges, but it’s worth it. Yes, it was all divine, indeed.

By providing your email address, you are agreeing to our privacy policy.

This article represents the opinions, thoughts, and experiences of the author; none of this content has been paid for by any advertiser. The Lupus.net team does not recommend or endorse any products or treatments discussed herein. Learn more about how we maintain editorial integrity here.

Join the conversation

Please read our rules before commenting.